Christiania residents had previously warned that they would identify the man if he did not step forward. This afternoon, they made good on that promise.
"We gave a notice so that the man could turn himself in," a spokesperson for Christiania, who did not wish to be identified, told Ekstra Bladet tabloid. "We simply cannot sign off on this kind of deadly violence. We had of course hoped that the man would turn himself in, so that we wouldn't have to do it. It would have been better for him because it would have cleared his conscience."
Police confirmed to Ekstra Bladet that they had received the assailant's name and said that they were familiar with the man due to previous run-ins with the law.
"I think it is wonderful that they gave us the name," Jens Møller of the Copenhagen Police told Ekstra Bladet. "Christianites are traditionally against violence in Christiania and are willing to contribute to clear up the violence."
In the Saturday night attack, a male 26-year-old eastern European was hit repeatedly in the head with a blunt object resulting in a broken skull and bleeding in his brain.
According to Ekstra Bladet, the victim is in an artificial coma at Rigshospital.
Residents of Christiania say that both the victim and his attacker were visitors to the freetown and not residents.