Local Italian police say that a Danish tourist is to blame for the fire that resulted in the evacuation of 2,000 campers on Monday morning from the Pra delle Torri campground in the coastal town of Caorle in northern Italy.
The man was on vacation with his family at the now destroyed campground when one or more candles that he allegedly lit somehow came in contact with some very flammable material.
“There was an accident in which a candle ignited some gas cylinders,” Italian police told Ekstra Bladet.
The fire was reported at 6:15 am Monday morning and 30 men, ten fire engines and a helicopter battled throughout the day to bring it under control. Fierce northerly winds hampered their efforts. On Tuesday, campers returned to find that over 40 mobile camping trailers had burned to the ground over a 200 square meter area.
No one – including members of the Danish family – was injured. It is not clear whether the man faces legal action for allegedly starting the blaze. The Italian media reported that the Dane has been charged with negligence, but other sources said that no one had been arrested since the fire was considered an accident.