Copenhagen Marathon to rethink security measures – The Post

Copenhagen Marathon to rethink security measures

Following yesterday’s bombings in Boston, officials behind the Copenhagen race will meet to determine if new security measures are needed

April 16th, 2013 10:38 am| by admin

In light of yesterday's bombing at the Boston Marathon, which killed three and injured over 100 others, the organisers of the Copenhagen Marathon are reconsidering security measures for the May 19 race. 

 

The Copenhagen Marathon's press spokesperson, Dorte Vibjerg, told The Copenhagen Post this morning that race officials will soon be meeting to determine what, if any, new safety measures should be made following the Boston tragedy. She was unable to provide any further details. 

 

Last year, an estimated 200,000 spectators watched the race, which starts on Amager before going through the city centre and the districts of Østerbro, Nørrebro and Vesterbro. Over 6,500 participants have signed up for the race.

 

The course will feature 40 'hot spots' with entertainment which are certain to attract large groups of spectators. 

 

Vibjerg stressed that the race already has security measures in place but said that organisers will now determine if any changes to the security plan are necessary. 

 

As of this morning, the FBI is investigating the Boston Marathon bombing and an official from the White House has characterised it as an act of terrorism. No groups or individuals have yet to claim credit for the act. The bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon killed at least three people and injured more than 140, many with severe wounds that included the loss of limbs.