Princess Marie gave birth to the newest member of the Royal Family this morning at 8:37 at CopenhagenÂ’s Rigshospitalet.
According to reports from the Royal Family the new arrival weighed in at 2,930g and measured 49cm. Both the French-born Princess Marie, 35, and the baby are reportedly doing well after the birth that lasted just over four hours.
The as-yet-unnamed princess is the coupleÂ’s second child. Their first, Henrik, was born in 2009.
Prince Joachim, 42, has two sons, Nikolai, 11, and Felix, 9, from his first marriage with the former Princess Alexandra.
Although the couple lives at the Sachenborg Estate in southern Jutland, the couple had been living in Copenhagen to be close to Rigshospitalet.
The new princess is 10th in the line of succession to the Danish throne. Should the royal couple stick to tradition, her name will not be revealed to the public until she is Christened in a couple of months.
Got a guess for what the new princess will be named? Write your suggestion in our comment section below or email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Factfile | Line of succession
1. Crown Prince Frederik (born: 26 May 1968) Â– Heir apparent Â– son of Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik
2. Prince Christian (15 October 2005) Â– son of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary
3. Princess Isabella (21 April 2007) Â– daughter of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary
4. Prince Vincent (8 January 2011) Â– son of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary
5. Princess Josephine (8 January 2011) Â– daughter of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary
6. Prince Joachim (7 June 1969) Â– son of Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik
7. Prince Nikolai (28 August 1999) Â– son of Prince Joachim and the former Princess Alexandra (now countess)
8. Prince Felix (22 July 2002) Â– son of Prince Joachim and the former Princess Alexandra (now baroness)
9. Prince Henrik (4 May 2009) Â– son of Prince Joachim and Princess Marie
10. Newborn princess (24 January 2012) Â– daughter of Prince Joachim and Princess Marie
11. Princess Benedikte (29 April 1944) Â– sister of Queen Margrethe II and daughter or King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid
12. Princess Elisabeth (Born 8 May 1935) Â– cousin to Queen Margrethe II and daughter of Prince Knud and Princess Caroline Mathilde
Note: the queenÂ’s youngest sister, Queen Anne-Marie, is married to the king of Greece and is no longer in the line of succession