A 15-second anonymous iPhone video shown to the tabloids Ekstra Bladet and BT seems to show that Muammer Arslan, the 48-year-old man shot by police in Slagelse Friday night was standing with his hands at his sides when an officer shot him at close range.
The video reportedly shows the officer raising his gun and shooting at Arslan's legs. Arslan then collapses. Although reports following the shooting said that Arslan was recovering, he died from his wounds on Sunday.
“It seemed unnecessary to shoot,” Ekstra Bladet quotes several unnamed sources as saying. “The officer could have used pepper spray or pulled his night stick.”
Tabloids refused to buy video
The video was offered to the tabloids at a price they both declined to pay. It has not been released publicly but was shown to the staff of both tabloids.
In the video, Arslan appears to be standing peacefully, but it is unclear whether or not he is holding a weapon.
The shooting happened after Arslan was thrown out of the Old Irish Pub in Slagelse for refusing to put his coat in the cloakroom. Police said that Arslan then went home, got a knife, and came back and threatened to kill the club’s bouncer.
Eyewitnesses told TV2 News that Arslan refused to drop the knife when ordered to do so by police, who then reportedly fired warning shots before an officer pointed his service revolver at the man, fired, and hit him in the thigh or groin.
While Arslan was in Slagelse Hospital, he was charged in absentia with attempted murder and threatening the doorman. Arslan, who left behind three children, died Sunday afternoon. The family plans to have him buried in Turkey as soon as police release his body.
Victim had previous stabbing conviction
Zealand authorities said that was Arslan had been convicted in September of stabbing 31-year-old man with a knife.
The victim escaped with superficial injuries to his stomach. Arslan was sentenced to three months' imprisonment and 60 hours of community service.
The shooting is under investigation by DUP, the independent police complaints authority. They have asked the person who filmed the video turn it over to DUP to assist in their investigation of the shooting.