CPH Post

Culture

Norwegians pull funding out of '1864' TV series

The 2 million in question won't dent the overall 173 million kroner budget


"What do you mean the Norwegians pulled out!?" (Photo: Miso Film)

June 25, 2014
10:00

by Ray Weaver


The producers of the television series '1864', which is due to air on DR1 this autumn, have lost 2 million kroner in support cash from the Norwegian Film Institute (NFI) because the production does not live up to NFI's requirements regarding how many Norwegians are employed by the production.

"We had thought we would use some Norwegian editors and a Norwegian composer," Peter Bose, a producer and partner at Miso Film, the company behind the show, told DR Nyheder.

"But we decided to use an American composer instead, and the editors we wanted to use were not available."

Bose said that he has been aware of the Norwegian decision not to support the TV series for a year, and that it would not delay the production.

"It is completely undramatic, but it is a shame," he said.

READ MORE: Every country has had an annus horribilis. Denmark's was 1864 ...

Not much of a dent
NFI pulled the support even though the well-known Norwegian actor Jacob Oftebro has a major role in the show.

"It is unusual," said Bose. "Previously, support would have been granted to a project that has the proportion of Norwegians that we have."

The 2 million kroner pulled by NFI was not much of a dent in 1864's total budget of 173 million kroner.



Related stories