CPH Post

National

Video raises questions about fatal police shooting

Cell phone video of man killed by police suggests he had his hands at his sides at the time the fatal bullet was fired


Police are asking the person with the video of Friday's shooting to come forward (Photo: Scanpix)

January 21, 2014
13:03

by Ray Weaver


A 15-second anonymous iPhone video shown to the tabloids Ekstra Bladet and BT seems to show that Muammer Arslan, the 48-year-old man shot by police in Slagelse Friday night was standing with his hands at his sides when an officer shot him at close range.

The video reportedly shows the officer raising his gun and shooting at Arslan's legs. Arslan then collapses. Although reports following the shooting said that Arslan was recovering, he died from his wounds on Sunday.

“It seemed unnecessary to shoot,” Ekstra Bladet quotes several unnamed sources as saying. “The officer could have used pepper spray or pulled his night stick.”

READ MORE: Man recovering after being shot by police

Tabloids refused to buy video
The video was offered to the tabloids at a price they both declined to pay. It has not been released publicly but was shown to the staff of both tabloids.

In the video, Arslan appears to be standing peacefully, but it is unclear whether or not he is holding a weapon.

The shooting happened after Arslan was thrown out of the Old Irish Pub in Slagelse for refusing to put his coat in the cloakroom. Police said that Arslan then went home, got a knife, and came back and threatened to kill the club’s bouncer.

Eyewitnesses told TV2 News that Arslan refused to drop the knife when ordered to do so by police, who then reportedly fired warning shots before an officer pointed his service revolver at the man, fired, and hit him in the thigh or groin.

While Arslan was in Slagelse Hospital, he was charged in absentia with attempted murder and threatening the doorman. Arslan, who left behind three children, died Sunday afternoon. The family plans to have him buried in Turkey as soon as police release his body.

READ MORE: Man shot by police dies

Victim had previous stabbing conviction
Zealand authorities said that was Arslan had been convicted in September of stabbing 31-year-old man with a knife.

The victim escaped with superficial injuries to his stomach. Arslan was sentenced to three months' imprisonment and 60 hours of community service.

The shooting is under investigation by DUP, the independent police complaints authority. They have asked the person who filmed the video turn it over to DUP to assist in their investigation of the shooting. 



Related stories



Latest Comments

"Most bomb-threat sentences fall somewhere between 20 and 30 days and are...

(Buzzy Sørensen on November 25, 2014 00:59)

Go to South Park's site and search for the Scientology episode. Plus this...

(William Harvey on November 24, 2014 21:57)

Dear Mrs. Steffensen! I think you showed Her Majesty proper respect by...

(Jens Rost on November 24, 2014 21:55)

Not sure why this is news if there is no change in status since 2001?

(Bill Jones on November 24, 2014 21:11)

I have a question, these women who walk around dressed in these black sheets,...

(Jon Paris King on November 24, 2014 21:04)

Denmark pilots, you are not alone as we the Romanians were. We are with you,...

(Florin Rusu on November 24, 2014 18:27)

Danish is going the way off Latin, its soon to be a dead language plus or...

(Tom Therkelsen on November 24, 2014 18:18)

Speaking of free speech, the Swedish way, how about this one?...

(Jens Rost on November 24, 2014 18:17)

So true (:

(Alexandra Tor Del Rey on November 24, 2014 15:15)

An honest and clear analysis

(Julian Cohen-Serrins on November 24, 2014 04:09)