Second Danish jihadist killed in Syria

30-year-old Abdel Maliki has reportedly been killed near the Syrian city of Homs and leaves behind a wife and four young children

(photo: Stephen Wright)
March 7th, 2013 11:48 am| by admin
facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail

Another Dane has been killed in battle in Syria according to media reports and Islamic Facebook pages.

Politiken newspaper reports that 30-year-old Abdul Malik was killed in the mountainous region north of the city Homs, although his death has yet to be confirmed by the Danish authorities.

According to reports, Malik converted to Islam ten years ago and was married to a woman from the Faroe Islands who is also a Muslim convert. They have four children under the age of nine.

An Islamic Facebook page 'Nej tak til 'Det Slører Stadig – DR2'" – which was created to protest a comedy show that pokes fun at Denmark’s immigrant and Muslim community – states that a collection has been established to help support his family.

“Our beloved brother Abdul Malik has been martyred!” the page states. “He leaves behind his wife and four children.”

According to Politiken, Malik is known to authorities due to his connection to radical Islamic networks. He has been arrested in Yemen and Lebanon on suspicion of criminal behaviour and both times was returned to Denmark.

In 2007, he told TV2 News that he was tortured when he was detained in Yemen.

Malik’s death arrives two weeks after the Danish citizen Slimane Hadj Abderrahamane was also reportedly killed while fighting with rebels in Syria.

(photo: Stephen Wright)
Danish summer the coldest for 24 years so far
If you thought June was particularly cold, grey and dismal this year, you a...
The two-storey apartment is in the plush Opus Hong Kong building located on a cliff side (photo: Exploringlife)
Dane buys Asia’s most expensive apartment
Asia's most expensive apartment, a 301 sqm luxury apartment in the middle o...
"Businesses in Copenhagen and Malmø now have increased opportunities," says bridge manager (photo: Marcus Bengtsson)
Øresund Bridge celebrates 15th birthday
Today marks 15 years since the Øresund Bridge was opened and the first car...
Police remained present at the scene until the situation calmed (photo: Heb)
Bloody brawl in Helsingør sends young man to hospital
A 19-year-old man was flown by helicopter to Rigshospitalet on Tuesday even...
The decision could lead to Ryanair flights being grounded in Copenhagen (photo: iStock)
UPDATE: Ryanair shuts down Copenhagen base
The Irish budget airline Ryanair has decided to close its Copenhagen hub wi...
As per usual, there is no shortage of nudity at this year's festival (All photos: Johan Karpantschof)
Roskilde Festival ’15 off to a flying start
Depending on your stamina, you're either nursing a hangover for the fourth...