Video raises questions about fatal police shooting

Cell phone video of man killed by police suggests he had his hands at his sides at the time the fatal bullet was fired

The Malo Seaways was hit by emergency flares over the weekeend (Photo: DFDS)
January 21st, 2014 1:03 pm| by admin
facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail

A 15-second anonymous iPhone video shown to the tabloids Ekstra Bladet and BT seems to show that Muammer Arslan, the 48-year-old man shot by police in Slagelse Friday night was standing with his hands at his sides when an officer shot him at close range.

The video reportedly shows the officer raising his gun and shooting at Arslan's legs. Arslan then collapses. Although reports following the shooting said that Arslan was recovering, he died from his wounds on Sunday.

“It seemed unnecessary to shoot,” Ekstra Bladet quotes several unnamed sources as saying. “The officer could have used pepper spray or pulled his night stick.”

READ MORE: Man recovering after being shot by police

Tabloids refused to buy video
The video was offered to the tabloids at a price they both declined to pay. It has not been released publicly but was shown to the staff of both tabloids.

In the video, Arslan appears to be standing peacefully, but it is unclear whether or not he is holding a weapon.

The shooting happened after Arslan was thrown out of the Old Irish Pub in Slagelse for refusing to put his coat in the cloakroom. Police said that Arslan then went home, got a knife, and came back and threatened to kill the club’s bouncer.

Eyewitnesses told TV2 News that Arslan refused to drop the knife when ordered to do so by police, who then reportedly fired warning shots before an officer pointed his service revolver at the man, fired, and hit him in the thigh or groin.

While Arslan was in Slagelse Hospital, he was charged in absentia with attempted murder and threatening the doorman. Arslan, who left behind three children, died Sunday afternoon. The family plans to have him buried in Turkey as soon as police release his body.

READ MORE: Man shot by police dies

Victim had previous stabbing conviction
Zealand authorities said that was Arslan had been convicted in September of stabbing 31-year-old man with a knife.

The victim escaped with superficial injuries to his stomach. Arslan was sentenced to three months' imprisonment and 60 hours of community service.

The shooting is under investigation by DUP, the independent police complaints authority. They have asked the person who filmed the video turn it over to DUP to assist in their investigation of the shooting. 

The Malo Seaways was hit by emergency flares over the weekeend (Photo: DFDS)
DFDS hopes to resume Calais service tomorrow
DFDS Seaways services between Dover and Calais remained suspended today aft...
Noma to take a break in Copenhagen in January (Photo: Antissimo)
Noma to close in Copenhagen for ten weeks
Copenhagen’s Noma will shut down for ten weeks next January so the entire...
More and more turbines could be popping up offshore (Photo: Kim Hansen)
More wind farms could be cropping up near the coast
Wind turbines could be popping up along the coastline like, well, wind turb...
It's a Dogg's life (Photo: Jørund Føreland Pedersen)
Rough weekend for the Dogg
US rapper Snoop Dogg's Scandinavian soiree over the weekend was problemati...
It looks barbaric, but the locals call it tradition (Photo: Erik Christensen)
Danish politicians slammed with protests over pilot whale hunt
The traditional grindadráp - the pilot whale hunt - is underway in the Far...
The attempt was eventually abandoned (photo: dinby.dk)
Today’s date: First drilling for oil
The first ever attempt to drill for oil in Denmark took place 80 years ago ...