TDC stakes claim in gaming market

March 6th, 2014

This article is more than 9 years old.

Telecoms giant launches new initiative to get into sports betting and online casino gambling

The deregulated gambling market faces a major new competitor, as telecommunications giant TDC has announced it will be entering the sports betting and online casino market. It could prove to be the first move towards a consolidation of a nascent market formed by the deregulation of gaming activities 26 months ago.

A bigger reach
The market is presently dominated by the state operator Danske Spil, which had a monopoly up until the end of 2011 and now has a 75 percent share. However, neither Danske Spil, nor large competitors like Ladbrokes International and Bet3565, have a reach in Denmark beyond their gaming interests. In contrast, 99 percent of the Danish population is covered by the TDC mobile network.

“Betting on casino will not be TDC's core competences," explained Carsten Dilling, the executive manager at TDC Group, in a press release on March 3. "However, both fit well with how TDC works because our customers use our products while they gamble.”

The whole package
Dilling explained that TDC customers might see a football match on TV – where TDC has 55 percent of the market – while they bet via their smartphone or iPad via the TDC network.

The new service, Bet25, is licensed by EcoSys, and TDC will have a majority share of 51 percent. The other 49 percent will be owned by Holger Kristiansen, the former product manager of Danske Spil, and Jan Duckert, a partner in the advertising bureau Wibroe, Duckert & Partners.

Kristiansen will become the new executive director of Bet25, while Duckert has been appointed chairman of the board. 


Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up to receive The Daily Post

Latest Podcast