Tech news in Brief: Faster internet a pricey affair for Denmark

In other news, 74 percent of all Danish households now purchase energy-saving LED lights, and MAX IV facilty was inaugurated in Lund

A new report by the consultancy firm Netplan, in association with the Danish Energy Association, has revealed that it will cost upwards of eight billion kroner to upgrade Denmark’s internet infrastructure.

The report, which is the first of its kind conducted in the country, has also revealed that providing access to 95 percent of Danish households will cost only 3.5 billion kroner – however, the other 5 percent will come at the steep price of 4.5 billion kroner.

This is mainly because the report accounts for those households that will need extensive dredging to properly install the fibernet cables.

Danes favour energy-saving LED lights 
Within the last year, 74 percent of all Danish households have switched to energy-saving LED lights. The numbers have skyrocketed recently – just two years ago, only 13 percent of households in Denmark regularly bought LED bulbs.

The Danish Energy Agency believes the change can be attributed to the falling price of bulbs, better quality and more stringent EU regulations.

The study also revealed that consumers were satisfied with the quality and functionality of LED lighting, with three out of four households saying they were happy with their purchase.

Lund to inaugurate 528-meter long accelerator today
The new MAX IV research facility was inaugurated in Lund this afternoon. The facility’s main claim to fame is its 528-meter long particle accelerator, which will be used to study the properties of matter at a molecular level.

The accelerator, which uses magnets to accelerate electrons, can be used to study the molecular composition of things such as metal alloys, pharmaceuticals and even archaeological samples.

Denmark has supplied some of the magnets being used and even has its own ‘beamline’ – the path along with the electrons travel – called DanMax, which is set to become functional in 2019.