Prince Joachim in stable condition after surgery
Prince Joachim is in a stable condition following surgery to treat a blood clot in his brain in France on Friday, but it remains unclear how long he will be hospitalised.
Queen Margrethe II’s younger son was admitted to the University Hospital of Toulouse on Friday night, where he underwent a successful operation, the Royal House announced.
“The prince fortunately arrived to receive professional treatment in time and is doing well under the circumstances,” Lene Balleby, the royal house’s communications manager, said on Sunday.
On family holiday
The prince, 51, is sixth in line to the throne – behind his elder brother, Crown Prince Frederik, and Frederik’s four children.
Prince Joachim does not have a history of illness, and further details about his health were not immediately available, according to TV2. Journalists who interviewed him before he was hospitalised said he had appeared to be in good shape.
The prince fell ill while on holiday at Château de Cayx, a castle belonging to the Royal Family in the south of France. His wife, Princess Marie, is with the prince at the hospital.
Prince Joachim and his family moved to Paris last year so he could take France’s highest ranking military leadership training course at the École Militaire.
The prince was set to take the post of Denmark’s defence attaché in Paris on September 1. It remains unclear if this will be affected by the surgery.
PM Mette Frederiksen, as well as various politicians and Danes, sent the prince her best wishes for a speedy recovery.
“My warmest thoughts to Her Majesty the Queen, Princess Marie, all four children and the rest of the Royal Family at this difficult time,” Frederiksen said.