FRI: 15º/3º SAT: 13º/11º
World's greatest restaurant makes people sick
Noma’s reputation as one of the world’s best gourmet restaurants was blighted today after it was revealed that 67 people had become ill after eating there.
The national food authorities, Fødevarestyrelsen, inspected the restaurant on February 20 after it received reports that a number of the restaurant's guests had become ill with Roskilde Sickness, a norovirus that causes vomiting and diarrhoea, after dining there from February 12-16.
Out of 78 guests served over the period, a total of 63 fell ill, which prompted Fødevarestyrelsen to make an inspection in which it found hygiene problems.
“There has been illness among staff who have handled the food products”, Fødevarestyrelsen wrote in its report. “The inspection visit was due to guests complaining of vomiting and diarrhoea.”
The restaurant is aware of four additional people who have taken ill, which brings the total number of ill diners up to 67.
Fødevarestyrelsen went on to criticise Noma for not disinfecting the kitchen in time in order to prevent the contagion from spreading. It also discovered that there was no hot water in the taps that staff used to wash their hands.
Fødevarestyrelsen's report on Noma, which can be seen here, said that the restaurant received an official warning.
Noma, which was voted the best restaurant in the world for the third consecutive year last spring based on its New Nordic cuisine, has yet to give its side of the story.