Danish delegation cancels Turkey trip
A Danish delegation that includes Queen Margrethe II and the foreign minister, Kristian Jensen, will not be going to Turkey this October after all.
The plans have been abandoned due to the tumultuous environment currently persisting in a country that has seen off a coup attempt and sustained terror attacks.
“After discussions with the Turkish government, it has been decided to postpone the planned state visit to Turkey because of the state of emergency,” said Jensen.
“It is unfortunate, but we look forward to finding new dates for the visit when possible. Due to the current situation in Turkey there is still a need for an intensive political and commercial dialogue with Turkey.”
We’ll come to you
Jensen said he was meeting with Turkey’s finance minister, Nihat Zeybekci, who arrives in Copenhagen tomorrow with a Turkish business delegation.
The plan was for the queen and Jensen to accompany a large number of Danish companies to Istanbul from October 17-19.
Earlier this summer, a number of politicians criticised the queen’s decision to go to Turkey, contending she might be used for political gain by President Recep Erdogan’s government.