Man dies of overdose at Roskilde Festival
Less than two days into this year's Roskilde Festival, tragedy has already struck.
A 20-year-old Swedish man was found dead of an apparent drug overdose in the early hours of Monday monday at one of the festival’s camping areas.
“We are regarding it as a tragic death due to drugs,” Lene Madsen, a communications official with Mid and West Zealand Police, told Ekstra Bladet tabloid. Madsen said that no foul play was suspected. Police at this point are not releasing any information about which drugs the young man may have been taking and are continuing to investigate the case.
According to police, numerous other festival guests had to be admitted to the hospital after taking drugs. Police are now warning that dangerous drugs may be circulating the festival grounds.
"There is a risk of contaminated drugs," Madsen told Politiken newspaper. "Therefore, we advise everyone against using narcotics."
This is not the first time that the Roskilde Festival has been marred by a tragic incident.
Last year, a 25-year-old German woman died after falling from a 31-metre zipline tower. She apparently scaled the security fence while the zipline was closed due to bad weather, then proceeded to climb naked to the top of the tower before falling to her death. And according to Politiken, a Norwegian man died from drugs at the 2010 festival.
The 2012 Roskilde Festival began its warm-up festivities on Saturday. The official programme begins on Thursday.
NOTE: This story was updated at 10:15am